Friday, January 25, 2013

Sand Castles in the Kitchen

IMG_2127-2013-01-25-20-57.jpg
While the dreamlike, peaceful world of family yoga and singing fairies was going on in the other rooms, the reality of having an adventurous and “creative” two year old was happening in the kitchen. The child, as we’ll call her in this post, appeared in this state asking me to open a granola bar. Oddly enough, the first thing I noticed was that her jammies looked really faded in the middle. Then my eyes were drawn up to the powdery face. In a shocked whisper asked, “What did you do?”
The response? “Want to see my sand castle I made in the kitchen?”
IMG_2135-2013-01-25-20-57.jpg
And, tadaa. Four no. 10 cans containing pinto beans, black beans, white flour, and my beloved fresh ground whole wheat flour. Not only was she very proud of the sand castle, but she kept asking if I liked her tall building.
“Did you see that tall building I made, Mama? Do you like my tall building, Mama? It’s really shiny and pretty.”
IMG_2138-2013-01-25-20-57.JPG
In the end she kept the pride she had in her work. I captured the moment as I forced myself not to smile or laugh and delivered a calm, yet stern lecture. Even though sand castles are beautiful, dumping lots of food on the floor is a big no-no, and she will never do that again. You can see below how devastated she was by reprimand.
IMG_2144-2013-01-25-20-57.JPG

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, I know I should not be laughing hysterically at this, but I can't help myself. Look at that sweet angelic face :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm chuckling and cringing at the same time. I will never show this to my kids for fear of what they might come up with! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, she is an absolute riot! And she looks very devastated at your reprimand.....

    ReplyDelete