Thursday, January 31, 2013

Baby, Please Come Home!

As many people know, I have a completely supportive and hands on husband. There's not much he won't jump in and do. I always appreciate this about him, but never so much as I do when he's gone.




This amazing man of mine has spent the last two weeks "in the field," an Army term I can't 100%  define for you because I'm still kind of new to this. The extent of my limited knowledge on his experience boils down to this: he sleeps in a tent in the desert, I don't hear from him much, and there is far less showering than he would like there to be.

Back to my point. It's been 2 weeks. My appreciation is growing daily. Here's a little list to give you an idea of the things he usually keeps up, I don't think about, and thus have been "off" with him gone.

1. Folding laundry. Currently there are about 6 loads of unfolded laundry in my living room. The baskets line the wall and in front of the fireplace. It's all clean, but folding laundry has never been, as much as I try to make it be, at the top of my priority list. There are so many more things to get done, the good, the bad, the ugly, and let's face it, the much more fun. But, that husband of mine, he jumps right in. Either he does it himself or lines up a few girls to get it done for me.

2. Finger nail trimming. This fact jumped up and slapped me in the face as I helped Aria put her socks on the other day. Yikes! I set up an appointment right then for her to meet me after teeth brushing for a trim. It served as a friendly reminder of yet another thing that gets done without me noticing. So, that night everyone lined up for a clipping, and I can now say that we are good in the finger and toe grooming department.

3. Taking the garbage to the curb. Never have to do it and that's why we have recycling overflow in the basement and a stuffed can that was pretty heavy to move to the curb after a week of garbage collection had been missed.

4. Snow removal. It hasn't been much, luckily. The first time it fell I was able to sweep it right off the sidewalks. The last time, I introduced Kassy and Bella to the snow shovel. There's a new batch waiting right now. I may just get to use the snow blower yet.



5. Waking up at 5:20am Monday-Friday to take Kassy to seminary. It's cold out there at 6:00! But, every morning I appreciate him a little more. He never lets me do it when he's home so that I can get the extra sleep.

6. Wearing the kids out at bedtime. Every night, without fail, Dad gets wound up right before bed. Wrestling, tickling, chasing, tossing, and very loud voices commence right at bedtime every night. A lot of times I will beg him to please not get them excited right before bed. I won't be doing that anymore. It didn't hit me at first. Why were they running circles through the house squealing their heads off every night? Why, no matter what time I put them down, were the little ones not falling asleep until 10:30? That loud craziness was actually the missing link to our peaceful bedtimes.

So, with all this said, I have to admit that there are many things I know I'm leaving out. In short, he's amazing, I miss him, and Sunday night cannot come fast enough. Things have actually gone really smoothly, we're just ready to see his face again. And, I'm making it a point to trim all the nails and fold all the laundry (with the help of 12 other smaller hands) before he gets home, so that he can enjoy things like being inside a real building, sleeping on a bed, sitting on cushy furniture, and showering with more than baby wipes and much more frequently than once every two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment